With Valentine’s Day only 29 days away, I am already thinking about lovely things, like Nutella, and cupcakes, and chocolate, and more chocolate (did I say chocolate enough? LOL :-D)
For these cupcakes, I just did the standard Betty Croker box of chocolate cake mix. I also used these fun cupcake liners/toppers from the recent Valentine’s Celebration Box at HandCrate.
Chocolate-Nutella Buttercream Frosting
4 cups powdered sugar (usually 1 whole package, but measure it out if you aren’t sure)
1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened
2-3 tablespoons vanilla
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1-3 tablespoons milk
7 ounces of Nutella (or half of a standard 13-ounce jar)
1 Wilton Large Star Icing Tip
- In your mixing bowl, add 4 cups powdered sugar. Mix gently for 30 seconds to break the lumps apart on lowest speed.
- Add 1 cup softened butter. To soften the butter, put in the microwave for about 30-60 seconds.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of vanilla and 1 tablespoon milk.
- Turn the mixer on the lowest speed setting. Keep on low until the mixture is incorporated.
- Once the base of the frosting has been slightly incorporated, add the 3 tablespoons of cocoa. Mix. Add the Nutella. Mix again.
- Check the consistency of your buttercream. If the frosting is stiff, add a tablespoon or so more of milk.
- Frost onto cooled cupcakes once you reach desired consistency. Add sprinkles and candies if desired. 🙂